Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pro-Ana Pride (WARNING: VERY CONTROVERSIAL)

Why do people have to be so judgmental about rapid weight loss? OhMyGosh is under fire for losing weight so quickly. Why is that looked at as being so bad? She's not even underweight yet. 5'3" and 122 is NOT too skinny or on death's door. She's lost 34 lbs in about 3 months with Pro-Ana and Pro-Mia. She was heavy and refused to be anymore. I don't see the down side. Mia is rough. I don't do it, but maybe I would if I could sometimes. I see the allure. Even so, though.

When actors lose weight quickly and do extreme things for roles and do well, they are nominated for academy awards.

When athletes train, they do so to muscle failure, exhaustion, vomiting, and even surgeries. They can stunt their growth at an early age, and mess up their hormones. Young olympic athletes do it all the time! People over-train, take enhancers, and sometimes die from it. We don't look at athletes and say, "Oh what a shame. Look at them killing themselves for some stupid medal. It's sad. What are they trying to prove anyway?" No, they're heroes!

How about people who work themselves to exhaustion on careers. They get fat, their personal lives fall apart, they become utterly alone and work obsessed. They make tons of money and build billion dollar companies. Is what they do healthy? NO! But they are glorified and glamorized... and did I mention all the $$? We don't say, "Poor messed up professional... how sad. Over-compensate much? What are they hiding from in all that work? What a shame. Maybe we should have an intervention."

So how is rapid weight loss, calorie deprivation, and yes, even purging any different? Like all of these other things, there is such a thing as too much. Athletes can die or become crippled, Workaholics can become suicidal, and Anorexic or Bulimic can starve to death or do permanent damage.... yes that is true. And we all hope to god that these people have the sense or support to not take any of it that far. To reach success and find a way to level out.

And fuck, smoking has no real up side and we KNOW you are pretty much CERTAIN to die of it. Why don't they get more crap? They ARE killing themselves for a fact. Oh but everyone gets all bent out of shape if you throw up to lose weight. "But the damage to your esophagus!!" Yeah, I know, its bad... but its no where near as bad as fucking smoking! Why aren't we institutionalizing smokers for suicidal tendencies? Seriously. I want to know.

I suppose I could be wrong, but I feel this is a severe double standard and it disgusts me. Many of us are or have been FAT! This is dangerous and unhealthy too! More people die of fat related illness and complications BY FAR then thin people starving to death per capita!

Back to the main subject at hand, among the successful at ANYTHING extreme measures are employed. The road is hard and painful. We hurt ourselves to get there. Very often this is a sacrifice required. If dangers exist, ok, lets acknowledge them together. When they become a problem, ok, we'll deal with them. But until that time, the extreme measures and diets are our means to an end. People who love us should understand that. Hypocrites who don't understand it should fuck off or take a look in the mirror... or both.

I hope this helps put things into perspective. Love me or hate me for this post, it is true, and I hope you link to it and pass it on. It needs to be heard.

Personally, I'm glad my husband and at least one of my sisters understand that about me right now. They are supportive, with a watchful eye. THAT is love.

For OhMyGosh's post:
http://starvingtobeperfect.blogspot.com/2010/05/zip-your-lips.html

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this, sweetie. I'm really down and I really, really appreciate it.

    I'm glad that I could inspire you:)

    And you're right, I'm at a healthy weight. Maybe I didn't get there in a healthy way, but it's still a healthy weight. And FUCK, it felt good to see 122 on the scale today.

    It is all about sacrifices. Make them and I have NO DOUBT that you will get to 120. I'm guessing by December you will be in the 130s... maybe lower.

    ReplyDelete