Thursday, May 27, 2010

Once Upon A Family... Part 1

Once upon a time, there was a family of 5. A father, mother, and three daughters, Ana B., Kit, and Mei. The father was a loving and generous man, but deeply scarred from years of physical and emotional abuse at the hands of his war-traumatized father. My grandfather would often beat my dad and grandmother. Sometimes raping my grandmother. He didn't bother with my aunts and uncle as much, but beat my dad bloody fairly often. My dad was his favorite. He loved him the best, beat him the most and worst, and bought him gifts often to make up for it.

When my dad was 18, my grandmother woke up early to make my dad breakfast. My grandfather wasn't awake yet, but when he woke up to find that my grandmother made my dad breakfast before him, he set to beating her severely. My dad had enough and fought back, beating my grandfather and literally throwing him out of the house. He never came back. Eventually they got back in touch, but they weren't ever family again. It was probably a good thing. My grandmother was never with another man (or woman) again.

My dad and siblings grew up terrified to make mistakes. They threw blame like a hot potato in a circle because growing up, who ever was holding the potato when the music stopped was severely beaten... right or wrong. They all developed coping mechanisms, turned their lives a positive direction, and ended up loving but severely fucked up people. None of them ever beat their kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment