Friday, June 4, 2010

Once Upon A Family... All About Me

(Once Upon A Family... Part 1 if you want to start at the beginning.)

My mom died when I was 18.

I, having had a mother long enough to have my feet somewhat planted, and having been the oldest and saddled with enough responsibility to be somewhat capable, stayed home for a year to take care of my sisters. I moved out to live with my boyfriend at 19 and never came back. I tried college. Began the day we put my mother in the ground, but the stress of so much... a dead mom, a needy family, and a new boyfriend, AND college was too much for me, so I quit. I thought I'd go back, but I didn't.

Instead I went into the work world kicking and screaming... terribly insecure. I had a very strong background in writing and literature, and was a highly experienced computer wiz. Those skills combined with a highly personable demeanor, tall and lean beauty, and olympic gold medal in bullshitting helped me take very well to the professional world. I gained confidence among other people even though I was never good enough for Jae, my significant other. By the time I was 21 I was making 50k per year. By then, my hobbies were psychology and social engineering, that combined with spotty hacker skills and resourcefulness gave me the tools I needed to go as far as I wanted. My husband, though, was the real deal, and together we've gotten far. I ended up becoming a mom and losing myself a bit along the way. First I got pregnant, then we got married. I don't recommend doing it that way. 3 kids and 8 years later, I'm still incredibly dangerous (in the best way) and sharp, but don't use it much as I'm a really good mom, and those edgy kills just aren't needed when you're singing songs, playing games, baking pies, and loving kids all day. Part of me is so happy though. Nothing has been more rewarding to me than building my family. I guess that's why my husband's unhappiness and disappointment with me hurts so much. I think I've done really well. But I'm not what he wanted. So now I have to be both things if it kills me. That's why I'm here with you. Now I have to be the stepford wife. Great mom, nurturing, and a saint by day, and by night I have to be a sexy, attentive, thin and devoted goddess of pleasure. I have to go out and strike envy into the hearts of all we meet... or my husband just won't be happy with his life. I have to become a shiny gilded trophy wife... and I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment