Friday, September 3, 2010

Tara Foods Low-Cal-nalysis

Kazehana wanted to know how I got a 600-700 cal day from looking at Tara's food.
"wait, what? how did you get 700 cal day from that video? pasta is 200-300 cals per serving, and olive oil has 120 cals per tablespoon, not to mention the parmesan cheese. lol she had tea with real honey, which has like 65 cals per spoonful. which means her lunch alone had 500 cals minimum. if her breakfasts/dinners contain any amount of animal protein (dairy/eggs count...Idk if she's a meat eater), I'd say her daily intake is at least 1100."
Points

1. Proportions Proportions

She does not have a full serving in that bowl. That is a cup or less of dry pasta. But for argument's sake, we'll say it's a full 2 oz serving, which is 200 cals for the Farfalle she is having. A loose handful of spinach like that is about 3 cals. The spinach was tossed with the oil and vinegar already, if you put a tablespoon of oil in there it the spinach would be swimming in it... not to mention the vinegar. The oil in there was 1 tsp. or less. 40 cals for the oil. You'll notice also that the shredded parmesan is sitting next to less than half of a meyer lemon in a little dish. That is also not even a full tablespoon of cheese. Again, for the sake of argument, let's say it is a tablespoon of the cheese, which is 21 calories. To be thorough, lets add a splash of lemon juice and a dash of balsamic vinegar. 1 and 2 calories.

Worst case scenario, that lunch of hers calculates out to 270 calories... though I'd say it's quite a bit less.

Oh and the honey... Yup, raw healthy honeys like hers are about 60 cals and the milk for the tea is another 22 cals.

2. Her Other Meals
Some nights her lunches or dinners admittedly include half a small healthy pizza on occasion with friends (probably the highest calorie thing) at 330 cals for the meal, and about a cup of thick veggie soup at 110 cals and maybe a bit of pasta in it bringing it up to 200 cals.

Preliminary Conclusion

Her highest cal meals land at around 350 cals, so if she ate that EVERY meal, yeah, she'd end up around 1000 cals. And on the low end, if 3 meals a day were on the lowest cal side, she could end up low as about 400 cals for some days.

If Tara ate the soup (no pasta), and the pasta lunch (including worst case scenario numbers), and the pizza for dinner, and drank the tea with milk and honey it tallys up to a 793 calorie day.

Plus, if you looked at her book, you'd see... this girl is empty. She has low body fat and when she bends over, NOTHING smooshes or bulges. Her skin is perfectly lean and smooth, and her abdomen has nothing in it. The only way a person can be that thin with her body's build is to eat very little. Trust me, I have her body build and was about that thin once.

Another video I just found suggests an apple for lunch. Come on girls, an apple for lunch? Sounds like something we'd do on a very low cal day doesn't it? 72 cals for lunch sounds like something I'd do! :)

Anyway, the bottom line is I really don't know what Tara Stiles is eating or what her suggested diet is. She seems to be avoiding the diet question as much as possible. Hmmm... suspicious for a fitness instructor. And anything I've found I had to really dig around for. I hope one of these days she'll put out dietary advice, but I'm not sure if she can. If she is as low cal as I think she is, she'd be torn to pieces in the mainstream. Probably why she hasn't done it yet despite having two books and a video out. I put together as much as I could figure. If I find more I'll post it. :)

I wish I could be fly on the wall for all the celeb eating habits. Wouldn't that be great?

1 comment:

  1. Idk...I think because I used to do yoga twice a day, every day for over a year, I'm skeptical that she'd be able to teach yoga and eat less than 1000 cals/day.

    Yoga (can) build the inner heat in your body, the core heat that burns your excess fat and causes you to switch to burning the cals you eat because you've run out of fat to burn.

    Back when I was that serious about my practice, I was a size 2 or something (not sure coz I wore boy pants back then and my size 29 waist pants were riding low on my hips) and I ate twice as much as I do now. All healthy, unprocessed food, but lots of it, many small meals many times a day. I felt like I was burning up on the inside, hot all the time.

    I quit wearing a coat in the winter, quit needing to purge/restrict because 1. my stress wasn't building up and 2. I was seriously burning cals like crazy.

    So yeah, I mean, she might be ana in disguise...I wouldn't rule it out, but having done the hardcore yoga thing makes me question why/how she would maintain an ED lifestyle AND a yoga practice, knaamsayin?

    ReplyDelete