Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fasting Update

I've been fasting since 10 pm 9/21/10. Today is day 4.

Yesterday (day 3) I had a hard time remaining functional on mostly water and tea like the other days. I know in a true water fast you're supposed to be able to be still, rest, take some time off. I haven't been able to. I had to take my kids places, run errands, go to the pool, etc. I was also trying to exercise a bit days 1 and 2. So yesterday I was feeling a bit weak in my muscles and was starting to get a bit dizzy. It was about to become really unsafe for me to drive. Tried hanging out with friends last night but had to come home around 8 because I was too worn out and the world was swimming.

So last night I did break my fast a bit to eat something to keep me going. I didn't binge at all though. I'm very happy about that.

I had hot portobello broth with bean thread noodles over raw mushroom, onion, and celery with a bit of dry chicken noodle soup mix to make it taste better. Turned out around 408 calories. Kinda more than I wanted. Then before bed wasn't feeling better, so I decided to try and get some protein too and had 2 Morning Star Farms vegetarian sausage patties. 80 cals each.

At the end of the day yesterday I ate about 570 cals. Hmmm... Not thrilled with it. I should have stuck to my plan. I will continue fasting to October 1st though, and I'll add a bit of fruit juice into the equation if I have to. I was doing mostly water, maybe to be active I need to do more juice. The thing about fruit juice though is that there are so many cals, I'd be getting less if I was just freaking eating. :P Bah. I dunno.

Whatever. My world. My fast. My rules. Plus, this is something I am saying I'm going to do until October 1st, but really I'm going to do this as long as I can. Possibly to my goal weight. I want to find that sweet spot where I can continue to function but nearly never eat. Maybe like this, fast 3 days, eat 1 meal, then fast 3 days again. Who knows. I'm enjoying finding my limits. Exploring my body's abilities is fun and feels a bit like yoga. Body play, seeing what feels good, what hurts, and why... where is my breath and focus? I'm having a good time. Why stop?

The only down side is that I've only lost 1 lb. so far. Boo. I want it to come off faster. But I won't reevaluate that until at least this 10 day fast is done.

One adjustment I am going to make now is adding Carnitine back into my day. I think it may have made a big difference last time.

Fuck I can't get a minute to write this. my day is fucking starting off bad. I can't get a minute to think fucking reflect and figure my shit out! Unbelievable. I have like 3 people interrupting. All I want in my morning is to be able to wake up, stretch out a bit, get my calorie restriction head on straight, and check my email. No email for me this morning. I was lucky to have 5 minutes to write this much. FML

/sigh

love you all

3 comments:

  1. yea when i fast with mainly water i dont have that much energy either -sucks, But something that works 4 me&maby will u is, going as long as u can all day untill your really hungry like famished...THEN let yourself eat something low cal just enough to sustain your hunger but not enough to make u feel full or fuck your day!
    some of the low cal stuff i like is: any typ of 100cal snack pack like cookies or crackers - low cal all natural fruit pops - low cal cool wip wit fruit...ect, -anyhow might work/help hope you find your perfect diet...and i know what your talking bout with getting interrupted all the time :D i have 2brothers 1sister & live wit my dad -love them so much but damn it gets so annoying!!! lol
    from -anagirlella on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. veggie juices are better than fruit juices for liquid fasting. fruit juice doesn't have as many vitamins/nutrients and it has much more sugar. plus veggie juices can be seasoned, warmed up and sipped like soup.

    be wary of low fat/low cal processed foods. they almost always cause you to begin to crave more things you shouldn't have. better to eat things with satisfying fats in small quantities, like a handful of walnuts or 1/4 of an avocado, one egg poached or boiled, or 1/2c of unsweetened yogurt with a sprinkle of flax or chia seeds and one spoonful of honey drizzled on top.

    the only thing I gotta say (obligated by reason of rooting for you) is that if you water fast or liquid fast at below starvation levels of caloric intake to lose weight, not only will you NOT be able to maintain whatever weight you reach if you begin to eat again, you will have lost so much weight in muscle mass that all the weight you regain will be purely fat.

    if you really, really want to be thin AND sexy AND sorta healthy, you can't starve yourself all the way there. starvation is a war you wage on your body, and your body fights back. if you win, you die. if it wins, you gain back every lost ounce.

    ultimately, starvation should be the least used tool in your arsenal of weapons against weight.

    I hope you're feeling better and remembering to keep track of your electrolytes and such.

    namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice is to start your day with something nutrient-packed and low cal (like eggs or yogurt)to get your metabolism going, then eat nothing else for as long as you can make it. I like to have a chocolate protein shake in the morning and it keeps me functional throughout the day (and it's 180 cals when you make it with skim milk). Sometimes I get real weak and dizzy by dinner, but an apple solves that in a quick minute :)

    Missed you love <3

    ReplyDelete