Thursday, November 4, 2010

Drinking Air and Eating Sunshine

Hawaii has been good to me.

Staying in someone else's house makes it difficult to stick with the rhythm I want/need my life to follow. However, being here on Maui, influenced by the sun, sea, sand, and stars (Yes, you really can see them here.), it is so much clearer who I am and how I want to live. I'm more driven to do things the way I think best. My motivation is limitless.

\\ Rainy Day Today //

I love the storms here. Wet, windy, and... warm? And another thing I love here is that it gets dark at night. Out in the middle of nowhere paradise, there are no street lights. It's wave-your-hand-blindly-in-front-of-your-face dark. :) Mmmmm happiness.

I've been reading one of those books I listed the other day. Raw Food Life Force Energy. I'm still fascinated by the science of energy passed through the food chain, and the book does go into some of that. But eventually I think the book departs a bit from science and into a more "new age" intuition and philosophy without so much evidence. Which is fine. It's good to hear other perspectives and learn what good there is in them. I'm not so sure about aligning my diet with specific "vibrations" but I am interested in getting as clean and close to a natural source of nourishment as possible and all the benefits one can receive from such a lifestyle. I've begun to skip around a bit, but I'm still reading. It's a pretty cool book.

EATING SUNSHINE

I've taken to making as much of my meals as possible out of sunshine. :)

Sunshine = foods recently picked... fresh, raw fruits and veggies with as little man-made influence as possible.

For example:

Breakfast today was lemon mint tea (using lemons off the tree and fresh mint), a green salad, and a bit of smoked salmon.

I admit the smoked salmon is not perfect, but it's pretty close to raw and feels pretty light. The salad is my bowl of sunshine though. Everything fresh and bright, recently picked and still full of sunlight. I feel great eating my sunshine. I also tend to eat a lot of fruits right off the trees. Papaya, passion fruit (usually eat 3 or 4 a day here), guava, and tree ripened bananas from the back yard. I don't tend to eat bananas, but I think the sunshine factor in a banana right from the tree outweighs the peril of the calories. I've had a fair amount of avocado too.

What I've cut since I've been here (in addition to the processed foods, breads, cereals, canned goods, milk, most cheeses, red meat etc. that I already don't eat or only have on rare occasion) is oils. I know, I know... omega3 yadda yadda... olive oil is good for you blah blah blah. I do know all the support for it. But I'm going back to my own common sense, which says that during the millions of years of our evolution there was no olive oil flowing across the land for us to collect and spill over our salads. We didn't evolve ingesting such large servings of oils. And since we're water based life forms, I question what the oil coating in our digestive system does to us. I'm trying to skip it. I'll eat foods that naturally have oil, like salmon, avocado, and olives. Yum yum... especially the olives. :) My fave. But nope, dripping and pouring oil... No thanks.

So again, time will tell how well this works for me.

The goal of course is to be lean, strong, and glowing radiantly. I am still carrying around too much weight. This book I'm reading talks about that too. Overloading our bodies and how to let it go. I need to let go of at LEAST another 20 lbs of overload. I also haven't been able to track my weight since I've been here. I hope getting back home to my scale in about a month will tell me something I want to hear. :)

Until then, I'll listen to my body, get natural and get simple.

And I'll post as much as I have time to in case it does work out so that everyone knows exactly what I did to get to the goal. My goal, your goal... a skinny, healthy goal.

Hearts to all! <3

1 comment:

  1. Technically butter, olive oil, wine and beer are like the 3 oldest foods in history.

    Your body does need some kind of fat in order to process other vitamins, like vitamins E and A. They form a more accessible chain of molecules.

    If you find yourself waking up with cravings for things like mayonnaise or macaroni and cheese, usually it's a sign that your body is low on the essential fats that keep your brain lubed and running at it's best.

    In fact, healthy oils help repair damaged dna at a cellular level, keep your joints primed with synovial fluid, not to mention keeping the arteries from hardening.

    While I totally get the fresh fruit/veggies/simple thing, you can keep it simple without sacrificing the essential elements your body needs to heal itself.

    Some of the nutrition magazines I read suggest that America's obssesion with low-fat/fat free food is part of why Americans are so fucking fat themselves. They've deprived themselves of the oils/fats they need which creates a domino binge cycle which leads to obesity.

    I tend to think this makes some sense, given the fact that the people of Greece, France and Italy are quite a lot thinner than we are, and yet eat a diet much richer in dietary fats than we do.

    Moderation is the key, together with sustainability. Eat in a way you can sustain daily without over taxing yourself and you'll find the balance you need to keep your sanity AND lose the excess pounds.

    :)

    ReplyDelete